Why Implement Diabetic Retinopathy Screening at Point of Care?
Time, money, and transportation challenges are all barriers that might limit patients from visiting the eye doctor for diabetic retinopathy screening. Incorporating Topcon Screen as point-of-care testing for diabetic retinopathy allows you to improve patient outcomes while improving quality measures and supporting practice referrals for all eye care practitioners.
Protect your patients’ vision with point-of-care retinal screening
We minimize any disruption by providing the complete infrastructure, including reading services and retinal camera.
*EMR Integration via HL7 available
Why Choose Topcon Screen?
Helps detect abnormalities for diabetic patients early
Reimbursed by most insurance companies
Closes the Diabetes Eye Exam HEDIS/Star measure
Point-of-care testing reaches more patients
The ability to move testing closer to the patient supports the need to provide better and more convenient access to healthcare for all patients, particularly those with chronic diseases.
- 95% of Medicare Advantage plan members with diabetes were monitored for kidney disease⁴
- Only 52% of diabetes patients in the MSSP ACO program were documented to have had a diabetes eye exam⁴
- By implementing Topcon Screen, primary care practices and Medicare Advantage plans can bring HEDIS compliant eye exams to the patient at point of care
1. National Eye Institute website, “Diabetic Retinopathy”, Accessed December 12, 2019.
2. American Academy of Ophthalmology website, “Sixty Percent of Americans with Diabetes Skip Annual Sight-Saving Exams”, Accessed December 12, 2019.
3. Lee DJ, Kumar N, Feuer WJ, et al. Dilated eye examination screening guideline compliance among patients with diabetes without a diabetic retinopathy diagnosis: the role of geographic access. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care.
4. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) standard analytical file “2018 Shared Savings Program ACO Interactive dataset”, Accessed December 23, 2019.
The Topcon Screen Difference
Our platform includes:
Most private insurance plans, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid plans will provide reimbursement. Medicare reimbursements may vary depending on the region. Various federal and state incentives, quality assurance programs, and legislation may affect the coverage and reimbursement rates of both private insurance and Medicare and Medicaid plans. We recommend that you check with your patient’s insurance provider to verify reimbursement eligibility before the screening.
Topcon Screen also includes the support of an experienced reimbursement team. We will work with you to answer any billing and coding questions along the way.